A physician, either a M.D. or a D.O., who is engaged in the practice of anesthesiology, shall be eligible for Active Membership if all of the following apply:
- He/she is an Active member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists;
- His/her location of principal professional activity is in the State of Ohio; or practices locum tenens outside of Ohio, but maintains a permanent residence in Ohio.
- He/she is licensed by the Ohio State Medical Board to practice medicine in the State of Ohio.
- Exception – A member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is licensed to practice medicine in another state, territory, possession or the District of Columbia of the United States of America if items 1 and 2 above are met, provided they are not an Active member of any other component society.
- Active members will have successfully completed a training program in anesthesiology, accredited by ACGME, the American Osteopathic Association or equivalent organizations.
Affiliate memberships are available to physicians who are not in the clinical practice of anesthesiology. Including:
- A scientist who, while not engaged in administering clinical anesthesia to humans, is, nevertheless, interested in anesthesiology.
- A physician who resides outside of the United States and is not a member of any
other Component Society.
An educational member shall be a provider of anesthesia care who is neither a physician nor an anesthesiologist assistant.
Each applicant shall file with the Secretary of this Society:
- An application endorsed by two active ASA members and
- If providing anesthesia care as part of the anesthesia care team, signed statements subscribing to:
- The Guidelines for the Ethical Practice of Anesthesiology and
- The Anesthesia Care Team statement as approved by the ASA House of Delegates
A physician who has been an active member in good standing of this Society for a period of at least twenty (20) years and who has retired from the practice of anesthesiology, or who has reached the age of 70 years, or who is disabled and unable to engage in the practice of anesthesiology for one year or more, shall be eligible to become a Retired member.
- Reinstatement to Active Membership
When a Retired member resumes the active practice of anesthesiology, he/she shall communicate that fact to the Secretary-Treasurer of the Society in writing. The Secretary-Treasurer shall transmit that document to the Chairman of the Membership Committee for consideration of restoration of Active membership. Upon approval by the Membership Committee and certification by the Secretary-Treasurer, the writer shall thereupon be reinstated as an Active member.
A physician, in full time training in an internship or residency in anesthesiology in a program in Ohio that is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or The American Osteopathic Association (AOA), or in a fellowship program affiliated with an ACGME or AOA accredited residency program, who maintains Resident and Fellow membership in the American Society of Anesthesiologists shall be eligible to become a Resident and Fellow member. An intern (PGY1), upon demonstration of acceptance into an ACGME or AOA accredited Anesthesiology residency program, shall be eligible to become a Resident member.
A medical student member shall be an individual in full-time training in an Ohio medical school approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Osteopathic Association who maintains medical student membership in the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
An anesthesiologist assistant member shall be a provider of anesthesia care who is a Fellow member in good standing of the American Academy of Anesthesiologist Assistants (AAAA). The anesthesiologist assistant’s primary practice location and/or permanent residence must be in Ohio.
- The Secretary-Treasurer of this Society shall review and approve Anesthesiologist Assistant membership applications.
- Details: To join the OSA, you must complete your membership registration through the ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologists)